|PRAGNA an activity based learning approach|
Number of programs across the country such as DPEP, SSA, NPEGEL have been implemented towards universalization of elementary education. As a result , since past one decade there has been significant improvement in the enrollement and retention of children at the primary level. However, despite sincere and dedicated efforts at various levels to imporved quality in education, there is a long way to go. When one thinks of usual primary classes, the picture of any teacher centic classrooms that comes to one’s mind is as under:
|Teacher dominates the classroom all the time, with no allowance for children to learn of develop on their own.|
|It is assumed that all children will learn the same thing at the same time and in the same manner.|
|The problems of multi-grade and multi-level nature of classroom are not addressed.|
|TLMs are rarely used by children as a normal practice.|
|Most of the materials used are not prepared for self-learning.|
|There is no opportunity for the child to learn the lessons missed during his/her absence from class.|
|Evaluation methods are mostly summative and test only the rote learning by children. |
In order to address the above issues, Pragna – an activity based learning approach, has been initiated with an objective to correct and overcome these difficulties and to open the classroom to a more holistic and learner based way of working with children through the day, throughout the year.
- It gives children an opportunity to learn at their own pace and level
- Provides children a platform to learn through experience
- It offers a chance to learn from teachers and peers
- It gives child an exposure to various project work and field work
- Child'a Continuous and Comprehensive Evaluation is embedded & stress free
- It helps child learning how to learn
- Children are learning without burden
- Classroom: The Pragna Classroom is child frendly place for children where they would love to come and learn. It is a place where the material is within their reach and they also have freedom to use there material as per their need.
- Subject Classroom: There are subject specific rooms instead of common classroom. The subject specific rooms are designed keeping in such a way that the child can have an easy access to the material related to particular subject. Separate room for Language-EVS and Mathematics- Rainbow activities are organized in the schools.
- Seating Arrangement: Children as well as teacher also sit on the floor rather than table-chair, benches or any kind of fixed furniture, Carpet or mat is provided to all the schools.
|PRAGNA Means Intellect, Understanding, Wisdom|
- Group Formation: Children of Standard 1 and 2 at together in any of the two classrooms. The combine group of children of standard one and two are divided in six groups according to the stage of learning. These groups are (1) Teacher Supported Group (2) Partially Teacher Supported Group (3) Peer Support Group (4) Partial Peer Support Group (5) Self learning Group and (6) Evaluation Group.
- Physical Environment of Pragna Classroom:Rack and Tray, Ladder, Group Chart, Student Slate, Teacher Slate, Student Progress Chart, Display, Learning Card / Activity Card, Workbooks, Flash Cards, Game Board, Early Reader, Pictorial Dictionary, Rainbow Activity, Student Profile, Student Portfolio, EVS Project Sheets, Mathematics Practice Book, Gujarati Vachanmala, EVS – Manan, Teachers' Handbook, Training Module, TLM Box, Training CD, Advocacy CD, Advertisement CD and Jingle, Pragna Song.
- Observing Ladder
- Picking Cards
- Selecting Group
- Doing Activity
- Recording Progress
|I||2010-11||258||Std.1 and 2|
Std. 3 and 4 in 258 ,
Std. 1 and 2 in 2337 New
|III||2012-13||2595+1153=3748||Std. 3 and 4 in 2337 ,|
Std. 1 and 2 in 1153 New
For more details about PRAGNA project kindly click here